What To Do If You Are In An Accident
Despite our best efforts, accidents happen. If you have been involved in a car accident, you may be uncertain about what to do next. At Walsh & Gaertner, we take pride in assisting clients who have been injured in car accidents in the St. Paul area. We help them as they seek to get their lives back on track.
Should you find yourself in the unfortunate aftermath of a collision, here are some tips on what to do after an accident:
- Call 9-1-1, relax, breathe. Even if it appears no one is injured, call the police to the scene.
- Get the facts. Collect the following information from any drivers involved: auto insurance company, policy number, license plate number and contact information.
- Take pictures. Document injuries, property damage to vehicles (especially the location of impact on each vehicle), accident scene, road conditions, road signs and any skid marks.
- Seek medical attention. Seek immediate medical assistance for any injuries sustained and make sure they are clearly documented.
- Call your insurance company. Call your agent or the claims processing number listed on your policy and report the accident, or if you’d like, we’ll do it for you.
- Protect your rights. If you’re contacted by the insurance company representing the other driver, do not discuss the facts of the accident and do not sign any documents or accept any settlement without first consulting with an attorney in order to protect your rights.
- Document your medical expenses. It’s important to maintain accurate records of your medical bills in the aftermath of an accident. This documentation can prove vital to establishing that your injuries stem directly from your collision. Medical records and bills also help establish the severity of your injuries and can impact the amount of any settlement.
- Call our firm at Walsh & Gaertner. An experienced lawyer can be a valuable resource in the aftermath of a car accident. Our seasoned team of attorneys is ready to assist you with your case.
We Can Help You Move Forward With Your Life
Our lawyers dutifully serve clients in St. Paul and its surrounding communities. If you are unsure what to do after a car accident, our knowledgeable team is prepared to help. Call us today at 651-968-8028, or send us an email via our contact page. We are happy to arrange for a free evaluation of your case.
More Reading In This Section: